Ride for Nokor Tep Newsletter #3 - May 2016
Dear fans and supporters of Ride for Nokor Tep,
Well things are truly heating up (pardon the pun) for this years Ride. We have had a great show of interest from new and previous riders and this years ride is gearing up to be the biggest yet!!
If you are interested and will be doing the ride, we just ask that you SIGN UP NOW and don't wait. We need to get all riders signed up as soon as possible so we can start working on logistics such as hotel rooms, transportation, additional tour guides, mechanics, etc.
The link is below and final numbers will be needed soon http://www.spiceroads.com/specials/nokor_tep
If you are teetering on the edge and not sure whether or not to sign up, you my need some inspiration so check out our all new refreshing look website and the image gallery which hosts all 2015 and 2014 photos PLUS some great video clips as well. We know that this ride will go down as one the most fulfilling things you have accomplished so far and all for a great cause.
You do not have to pay full amount now, but at least its a step in the right direction.
This year will also be a fantastic finish with a short ride on the Saturday with some local riders to finish off at the hospital site.
We have started our sponsorship campaigns and you will soon start receiving emails from some of the riders, please do help and donate and remember that every cent you donate goes directly to the construction of the hospital, all riders pay for their own costs of the ride.
We are making good progress with some corporate sponsors and so far we have commitment again from Coca Cola who will supply us with isotonic drinks to combat dehydration.
Steadfast Re has jumped on board again this year and we appreciate their continued support.
Starting this week we will start our "Meet the Riders" fast facts on Facebook. Make sure you support your favourite riders and share the post with family and friends.
We look forward to your continued support in any way possible. If you are a corporate and keen to sponsor the ride, please drop me a note or reach out to your favourite rider and ask how you can get on board this year.
Here is the route and itinerary for this years ride which was similar to last year and a great experience cycling along quiet country roads in the real Cambodia;
Option A: 3 days of cycling (Monday - Wednesday) using Siem Reap as our base, average daily kms' is 120km's and you will be back in the pool enjoying drinks watching the sunset.
Day 0 – Sunday September 4th. Accommodation at City River Hotel (Deluxe Room)
This is the Sunday afternoon prior to the ride. Gather at the rooftop pool of the hotel where we will have an introductory session by our friendly guide and the support team. Here we will also hand out any Jersey’s and just cover overall logistics for the week. That evening we will all get together and have a Welcome and introductory dinner.
Day 1 - 120km - Accommodation at City River Hotel (Deluxe Room)
Depart the hotel, we cycle 5km and then get off road to enjoy the countryside. We cycle through many villages soaking up the atmosphere of Cambodia. As you cycle along the countryside, the children like to say hello. The scenery keeps changing from the rice paddy to the shady palm trees. We then arrive at the most authentic village on the water, Kampong Khlaeng. We have lunch in the village and then cycle back to Siem Reap on another enjoyable route. You will be back and enjoying a few drinks by the pool before heading off to dinner which is free & easy and overnight in Siem Reap.
Day 2 - 125km - Accommodation at City River Hotel (Deluxe Room)
Breakfast at the hotel. Today we cycle through more peaceful beautiful countryside. We make a water stop half way. Then we cycle along the Kulen mountain toward Beng Mealea temple. We visit the temple known as Indiana Jones temple hidden in the jungle. It is one of the favorite untouched temple. It’s a very peaceful and a relaxed way to visit this temple far from the most touristy place around Angkor Complex. In the afternoon, we cycle back to Siem Reap and again enjoy some time to recover before heading out for free & easy dinner and overnight in Siem Reap.
Day 3 - 120km - Accommodation at City River Hotel (Deluxe Room)
Breakfast at the hotel. We cycle to visit Kbal Spean known as the river of Thousand Lingas and then we cycle to visit Banteay Srei temple known as Women Citadel. This temple has the most beautiful carving and sculptures built from pink sand stone, well worth the stop and also a good opportunity to rehydrate and buy some cold pineapple and fruit from the villagers. Then we cycle to visit the Land Mines museum of Mr. Akira, the CNN top ten World Hero who dedicates his life for de-mining. This is a real dose of reality and brings home the terrible things that happened in Cambodia. After the visit we have some lunch and then we cycle back to Siem Reap. Relax before free & easy dinner and overnight in town.
Option B: 2.5 Days of Cycling - Siem Reap to Phnom Phen (Nokor Tep Hospital site)
If you only take this option you will need to arrive at Siem Reap on Wednesday 7th September.
Day 4 - 125 km - Accommodation Sambor Village Kampong Thom
Breakfast at the hotel. Today, we ride our bike directly from the hotel. We cycle to Kvay Village and we stop for lunch there. It’s a great ride and you will have lunch at the temple. After lunch we cycle the last 30km until we reach the National Road No. 6. At one of the oldest bridges in Cambodia and well worth some photos. From here we transfer 1 hour to Kampong Thom town. If you still have the energy you can cycle the last 80klms into Kampong Thom and meet the rest of the team there when you arrive. Free & Easy dinner and overnight in Sambor Village.
Day 5 - 120km -Accommodation Frangipani Royal Palace Hotel
We transfer 1.5 hour from Kampong Thom to the starting point. We ride through local village and along the Mekong River and you will see some beautiful sites along he way carving through some real villages of Cambodia before we reach the hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh and ride directly to Frangipani Hotel. If you have friends and family joining you, this is where you can meet and get ready for the family and friends ride the next day. Dinner again is free & easy.
Day 6 –Family & Friends Fun ride 20 – 25 klms – Accommodation Frangipani Hotel.
On Saturday morning we will have a quick breakfast at the hotel before departing on our short Family & Friends ride to the hospital site. This is a great opportunity to see some outskirts of Phnom Phen and cycle past some amazing temples and sites. This will be an unsupported ride so make sure you carry enough snacks and drinks to get you through the ride, if not bring some cash and I’m sure you will find plenty of street stalls to rehydrate or buy some fruit from. The ride will finish at the hospital site and here you will be greeted by some of the local women who every year come out to show their appreciation for all the hard yards we have put in and love seeing the progress of the Hospital site.
After the ride, we will have some lunch at the hospital site and here you will be transferred back to the hotel. Free & Easy afternoon, maybe a massage or just sit by the pool before we attend the Final Farewell Dinner which we encourage all to attend.
After Dinner, the ride and tour has concluded.
Option C: Full tour which is Option A + B
This year we will be inviting family and friends to join in on the ride on Day 6. The cost of the ride will be confirmed closer to the date but we would expect all riders to make a charity donation.
Also most important thing is the donation portals are up and waiting for your friends, family, colleagues, uncles, aunties, neighbours and the milkman to start donating and following this great cause.
All the payment portals will be placed on the site so you can just point your friends to one place and have them pick their preferred option of donating, or you can simply insert all or one of the below links into your donation email;
Please remember, when asking your friends to donate, make sure that they mention your name in the comments on the donation portal, so we can track who the funds are for, for example "Go Quinny, you chicken legged Legend!" or " Harden Up Sam, your pedalling for the Women of Cambodia"
Here are the fundraising portals;
- Australia - http://www.nokortepaustralia.org.au/index.php/donations/australian-donations
- United States- http://www.tabithausa.org/Tabitha_USA/Womens_Hospital.html
- Singapore & United Kingdom- https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/ridefornokortepcambodia
Now is the time to start chasing the corporates as we need to finalise the jersey design in July to make sure they are ready for the ride. We hope you can attract as many as possible and yes, we are creating that donation deck which you can share with them so they can see how their funds are spent and also what they get for their corporate sponsorship.
Hopefully you will consider joining this years ride and if you need inspiration, check out our Facebook page and have a look at some of last years photos or just ask one of the previous years riders. The camaraderie you will experience is fantastic and the joy you will bring to the faces of many Cambodian women is unforgettable.
Now start training, fund raising and spreading the word. Lets raise that money and get the hospital finished as targeted, this year.
Don't forget to join our Strava group and start revving up your fellow riders.
Again, ride dates are Monday September 5th 2016 till Saturday September 10th 2016 inclusive. Please ensure you are checked in at least 1 day before the ride.
COSTS AND INCLUSIONS - ALL COST IN USD (US DOLLAR) PER PERSON
Start Up Price
No. of Pax Tour Price
8 - 11 USD$625
12 - 15 USD$525
16 - 20 USD$460
Option - Tour Price / Single Supplement
Full Trip (Option C) : 8D/7N USD$625 / USD$303
Shortened Trip (Option A): 5D/4N USD$380 / USD$164
Shortened Trip (Option B) : 5D/4N USD$350 / USD$180
- Every rider who participates in this trip (no matter which option he or she does) needs to pay the start up price, then he / she will pay the selected option of cyclist price on top of it.
- A non rider will receive a 15% off the tour price of each option he / she participates in. Please note the non rider will not count towards the overall rider number and the 15% off price is not applicable to the bike hire and single supplement.
- In case of solo rider who became an odd number at the end of booking period, the Norkor Tep organiser must be responsible for finding a suitable roommate for him / her. If a suitable roommate cannot be found for any reason, the person(s) must be responsible to pay for the single supplement.
Tour Price Includes:
- 1 English Speaking Guide + 1 Mechanic except on departure day
- Supported Vehicle for back up and transfer
◦ 1 x 25 seater-minibus + 1 x luggage truck for 8 - 15 pax
◦ 1 x 30 seater-bus + 1 x luggage truck for 16 - 20 pax
- Tool Kit, First Aids and Floor Pump on each vehicle
- Airport Transfers
◦ First day of each option: from Siem Reap Airport to City River Hotel for Option 1, 2 and 4 and from Phnom Penh Airport to Frangipani Royal Palace for Option 3
◦ Last day of each option: from City River Hotel to Siem Reap Airport for Option 1 and from Frangipani Royal Palace to Phnom Penh Airport for Option 2, 3 and 4
- Boat/ Ferry ticket on Day 1 and Day 6
- Accommodation in double / twin shared room as mentioned in itinerary.
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner)
- Entrance Fee to the following sites
- Day 2: Beng Mealea Temple
- Day 3: Angkor Temple, Landmine Museum
- Drinks & Snacks whilst cycling
Tour Price Excludes:
- Visa fees. Please assure to obtain Visas before departure.
- Meals other than mentioned in the itinerary.
- Mountain Bike Hire and Helmet.
- Bike Shirts (organised once numbers are confirmed approx USD$55 per shirt)
- Full Day-Cycling around Angkor (see extra cost presented on the next page)
- Half Day Tour to Killing Fields (see extra cost presented on the next page)
- Alcoholic Drinks
- Tips for guide, driver, boat crew & hotels' porters.
- All air tickets with airport taxes
- Maps and Navigation aids
- Travel Insurance and Accident Insurance.
- Any services non-mentioned in the itinerary.
- Full Payment is required 45 days prior to departure.
- 90+ days : Admin Expenses*
- 60 - 89 days : Deposit Paid
- 30 - 59 days : 50% of tour price
- 15 - 29 days : 70% of tour price
- 00 - 14 days : No refund
We are working on putting together a corporate investment / sponsorship pack and when it becomes available we will distribute. There will be jerseys provided so if you know a corporate sponsor may be interested and wants to get their name on the jersey, please let me know.